Chef and I have owned My Kitchen now for 6 years. I have seen our Weddings Bookings slowly increase. This year, our number doubled. I am very thankful.
I have had a few couples going the City Hall Route and was able to throw them a Wedding Reception, instead of simply sitting at the Restaurant for early dinner. City Hall Ceremonies are held Monday thru Thursday with the latest time being 3:00pm, making it ideal to have an early weekday afternoon reception, if planned properly.
That is the gist of this blog post. Let me point out a couple of things you need to know. However, I also ask that you verify by calling City Clerk’s Office for up to date information.
- City Hall Queens Office is closest to us. 120-55 Queens Boulevard, Kew Gardens. Open Monday thru Friday from 8:30am – 3:45pm. It’s only 1 Train stop away from My Kitchen
- Must obtain a Marriage License. I believe it’s $35.00 (credit card or money order)
- You may begin your application online. However, you MUST appear in Court together at the same time. Must have proper ID, usually, the same used to fill in online form
- After Marriage License has been obtained, you have to wait 24 hours before the Marriage Ceremony can be performed.
- Marriage License is valid for 60 days.
- Most reviews indicate that Mondays and Fridays are the busiest, so try mid-week.
This is where you now have options:
- City Hall Wedding Ceremony – A civil marriage ceremony can be performed in the City Clerk’s Office during regular business hours. You cannot reserve a time or make appointment. You need to have Witness over 18 and with valid ID. I’ve heard stories that families of other couples have filled in. Everyone is usually in a wonderful mood as they’re there for the same reason.
The Cost for the Ceremony is $25.00 (I believe)
After which, you reserve a table at a restaurant and celebrate with your family and friends.
The next option is where I come in
- Weddings in My Kitchen – You have the option to have the Ceremony at our location. In “nice” weather, it can be in our backyard or we setup chapel style indoors. You will need an Officiant. Not sure how much each individual charges. I’ve come up with a package inclusive of Cheese Station for Appetizer, Food, Soft Beverages, Room setup for a Reception. You have the option for background music and dancing. Click on the link below for more information.
To those couples who have decided to go the route of hosting a smaller intimate Wedding with us here in My Kitchen, we really take the position that a Wedding is still a Wedding and we make every attempt to make your day special.
Here’s a link to another wonderful post in Glamour.com by Penny Wrenn
Contact us for more information
Dhanny and Chef Joe